1. Combine the light caramels and the first 1/3 cup of evaporated milk in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until melted.
2. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Mix the German chocolate cake mix, butter, second 1/3 cup of evaporated milk, chopped nuts
in a large bowl, by hand. Mix until thick.
5. Press half of the batter into a 9 X 13 pan.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 9 minutes.
7. Drizzle the melted caramel over the top of the semi-cooked cake half and sprinkle over the chocolate chips.
8. Drop small spoonfuls of the remaining half of the batter over the top of the semi-cooked half. There will be gaps between the "mounds". These will resolve during baking.
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes. Do not burn. (Lick your finger and hit the bottom of the pan in the center. If it sizzles, it's done, or, look at the edges of the pan. The batter should be just starting to pull away from the sides).
10. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Cut into small pieces, 4 dozen or more.