1 (3 to 3 ½ pound) boneless chuck roast
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 ½ cups beef broth
½ cup dry red wine
¼ cup all purpose flour or corn starch
1 lb small Yukon gold potatoes
3 large carrots, cut into 3-inch pieces
1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 can low sodium cream of mushroom soup
1 packet onion dip dressing
1. Season beef with 1 ½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beef and cook until evenly browned, about 3-4 minutes per side.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together beef broth, wine, flour; set aside.
4. Place potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, onion dip seasoning and bay leaf into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in beef broth mixture; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with beef.
5. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours, or until meat is fork-tender.
6. Remove beef, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion from the slow cooker; shred beef, using two forks. Cover with aluminum foil.
7. Strain cooking juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small saucepan over medium heat; discard solids. Skim any remaining fat from surface and discard. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until desired thickness, about 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
8. Serve beef, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion with juices immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.