1 pkg. active dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the work surface
2 tablespoons butter, melted plus more for buttering the bowl and baking dish
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 c. packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick (8 tbsp. butter), softened
Thick Cream Cheese Icing:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 c. confectioner's sugar
1/4 c. milk
- For the dough: Place the yeast and 1 cup lukewarm water in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine. Fit the mixer with the dough hook and add the flour, butter, granulated sugar, salt and egg. Knead on medium-low speed until the dough forms a ball and releases easily from the sides of the bowl, about 4 minutes.
- Butter a large bowl; transfer the dough to the bowl. Cover with a towel and set aside in a warm, draft-free place until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375º F. Butter a 9-by-13- inch baking dish.
- For the filling: In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and butter. Set aside.
- Punch down the dough, then roll or press it into a 16-by-12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Spread with the filling, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Starting at one of the short ends, roll the dough into a cylinder and then slice into 12 rolls. Arrange the rolls, cut-side up, in four rows in the prepared baking dish. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and leave to rise in a warm, draft-free spot until nearly doubled in volume, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden on top, about 20 minutes.
- For the thick cream cheese icing: Blend the cream cheese and confectioner's sugar in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the milk and mix until smooth. Top the warm cinnamon buns with icing and serve.