1. Preheat oven to 350º . Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
3. In a third bowl, cream together butter and brown and granulated sugars, using a mixer set to medium speed. Mix until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
4. Reduce the mixer to medium-low speed and add in the egg mixture. Mix until incorporated, about 45 seconds.
5. Add the flour mixture. Mix on low until combined, about 30 seconds.
6. Divide the dough in half and form into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour. (The dough can be frozen for up to 1 month; thaw overnight in the refrigerator before rolling.)
7. Flour a countertop or use wax paper and, using a floured rolling pin, roll out out half the dough into a 1/4-inch thick circle 10-12 inches in diameter. Punch with cookie cutters.
8. Place cut cookies on cookie sheets, 1 inch apart. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
9.. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are golden brown.