1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Rinse and peel onion. Rinse squash, mushrooms, and cauliflower. Chop vegetables into bite-size pieces, all equal size.
3. In a medium bowl, add oil, salt, pepper, and cut veggies. Stir until veggies are well coated.
4. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread veggies on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until veggies are browned at the edges, about 30–35 minutes.
5. During last 10 minutes of baking time, cook pasta following package directions. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water. Drain pasta.
6. In a large skillet, add veggies and drained pasta. Heat over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. Stir frequently. Add some of the reserved pasta water to moisten and make a sauce.
7. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl. If using grated cheese and fresh herbs, add now. Serve hot.
-To cut costs, use whatever veggies are in season or on sale. Try different combinations like halved plum tomatoes and broccoli, or red onion and chunks of butternut squash. Or, use thawed frozen veggies. Be sure to pat dry before using.
Try serving this dish with marinara sauce.
Use any whole wheat pasta you like, such as penne, rigatoni, shells, or bow tie.
For more heat, add ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper to the veggies in step 3.