2 pounds stew beef (cut into 2-in cubes)
¼ cup shortening
5 cups water
1 small chopped onion
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup ketchup
6 carrots, peeled and quartered (or 1 small pkg. of baby carrots)
3 potatoes (quartered)
1 turnip (cubed)
½ lb. pearl onions, peeled
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. Bisto
1. In a large dutch oven, melt shortening, add beef and brown on all sides.
2. Add water, chopped onion, and all seasonings.
3. Cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
4. Add vegetables, cover, and cook 20 minutes longer until vegetables are tender.
5. Drop dumpling dough onto stew. See directions for dumplings below.
6. Remove dumplings and place on a plate.
7. Remove vegetables and place in large serving dish.
8. Add water, if necessary, to gravy in pan.
9. In a small cup, mix cornstarch and Bisto with water to make a thin paste.
10. Bring gravy to a boil.
11. Add 2 Tbsp. boiling gravy to the cornstarch/Bisto mixture.
12. Gradually stir in the cornstarch/Bisto mixture to the boiling gravy until the gravy thickens.
Mix 2 cups Bisquick and ⅔ cup milk until soft dough forms.
Drop dough by spoonfuls onto stew (do not drop directly into liquid). Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Depending on where you live, you may need to add more liquid.
Tip: The secret is... DO NOT OVER MIX! and let them set for a few minutes, so they rise.