1. Heat a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add oil, shallots and garlic; saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add squash; season with salt, pepper, curry powder and cinnamon. Stir to coat. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add coconut milk, broth, maple syrup and (optional) chili garlic paste.
5. Bring to a low boil over medium heat; reduce heat to low; cover; simmer for 15 minutes (or until squash is fork tender).
6. Using a blender or immersion blender puree on high until creamy and smooth.
7. Adjust seasonings; Continue cooking a few more minutes over medium heat.
8. Serve as is or garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds, if desired.