2 cups brown rice, dry
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 broccoli crowns, chopped into 1” pieces
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1” cubes
⅔ cup chopped carrots
2 cups cooking water, reserved
⅔ cup cashews
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
1. In a wide, lidded saucepan, cook 2 cups of brown rice according to package directions. Fluff with a fork, remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the olive oil and broccoli to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the pan and continue to steam the broccoli in the pan for 3-4 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender.
4. Remove the broccoli from the pan and set aside.
5. Add the onion, potatoes, and carrots and cover with 2 inches of water.
6. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
7. Add the vegetables, 1 cup of cooking water, cashews, salt, garlic, dijon, black pepper, and nutritional yeast, to a blender.
8. Be sure to allow steam to escape from the top of the blender. Blend until completely smooth.
9. Add the broccoli and rice back into the skillet. Cover with cheese sauce and stir until combined.