1. Grease jelly roll pan. Line with waxed paper and grease paper.
2. In a large bowl: Beat the egg whites on high til foamy (1 to 2 min).
3. Continue beating gradually adding ¼ cup sugar til glossy and stiff peaks form ( 2 to 3 min)
4. In a small bowl: Combine ½ c sugar, egg yolks, water and vanilla.
5. Beat at high speed scraping bowl often til thick and light ( 5 to 6 min)
6. By hand, gently stir in flour and baking powder.
7. Gently stir egg yolk mixture into beaten egg whites.
8. Pour into prepared jelly roll pan.
9. Bake at 375 for 14 to 18 min.or until top springs back when lightly touched in center.
10. Cool 10 min and then remove from pan and cool completely.
1. In a quart saucepan, combine sugar, water and instant coffee powder.
2. Cook over med heat til mixture comes to a full boil ( 3 or 4 min).
3. Boil for 1 min.
4. Stir in rum. Cool completely
1. Cut cake crosswise into 3 equal pieces and brush with syrup. (Reserve 2T of syrup before brushing cake).
1. Stir sugar, cheese and vanilla.
2. Then add grated chocolate.
3. Spread half of filling on 1 piece of cake on serving plate. Then another piece of cake and rest of filling. Top with 3rd cake layer.
1. Beat cream at high speed til soft peaks form.
2. Continue beating gradually adding reserved syrup til stiff peaks form.
3. Cover top and sides of cake with whipped cream.
4. Sprinkle top with grated chocolate.
5. Refrig at least 3 hours before serving. Store refrigerated.
This is worth the effort and doesn’t seem as much work the second time.