1. In a food processor (or blender) whirl ginger and 1/3 c of the sugar until ginger is finely ground. Remove
from food processor.
2. Put butter and 1/3 c of then sugar in food processor (or bowl) and whirl (or beat with mixer) until fluffy
3. Add ginger mixture, molasses, and egg and whirl to mix.
4. Mix flour, soda, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add to butter mixture: whirl to blend well.
5. Cover dough and chill until firm to the touch - about 1 hour.
6. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and coat in remaining sugar. Place balls 2 to 3 inches apart on nonstick
or oiled baking sheets.
7. Bake in a 350º over until slightly darker brown, 11 to 12 minutes total. Switch pan positions after about
6 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks to cool.