1 1/2 lbs. round steak (cut 1/2-inch thick)
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. cooking oil or shortening
1 8-oz. can (1 c.) tomatoes
1 3/4 c. water
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. beef gravy base
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 large green peppers, cut in strips
Hot cooked rice
1. Cut steak in strips. Combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat meat strips.
2. In large skillet, cook meat in hot oil until browned on all sides.
3. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid.
4. Add tomato liquid, water, onion, garlic, and gravy base to meat in skillet. Cover and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours, until meat is tender.
5. Uncover, stir in Worcestershire, add green pepper strips. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. If necessary, thicken with flour and water.
6. Add drained tomatoes, cook about 5 minutes more.
7. Serve over hot rice.