1½ cups butter, softened
1¾ cups sugar
4 large egg whites
2 large eggs
3 teaspoons peppermint extract, divided
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
5 cups whole milk, divided
1 (4oz) bar white chocolate, melted
2 (3.4oz) boxes cheesecake instant pudding mix
1 (16oz) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Garnish: crushed peppermint candies
1) Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with baking spray with flour.
2) In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg whites and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 teaspoons of extract.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with 1½ cups milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in melted chocolate. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
4) Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke 1 inch deep holes into warm cake at ½ inch intervals.
5) In a large bowl, whisk together pudding mixes, remaining 3½ cups milk, and remaining 1 teaspoon extract until thick and smooth. Slowly pour onto cake, smoothing top with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving or for up to three days. Spread with whipped topping just before serving; garnish with peppermints, if desired.