1. Spray 9" square baking pan with cooking spray and line with parchment
2 Spread the chopped pecans in a single layer on top of parchment.
3. Add butter, sugar and salt to a heavy bottomed 3 qt. pot
4. Bring to a boil over medium low heat, stirring frequently.
5. Once candy is boiling, stir frequently, slowly and evenly, until the candy thermometer has reached 290-300.
6. Remove from heat and gently stir in vanilla.
7. Carefully pour over the pecans.
8. Let set for a few minutes, undisturbed, before sprinkling chocolate chips on top.
9. Cover the dish with foil and let set for 5 minutes until chocolate has softened.
10. Remove the foil and gently spread chocolate into an even layer with an offset spatula.
11. Place in refrigerator to cool completely for at least 2 hours.
12. Lift parchment out of the baking dish and place the toffee on a cutting board.
13. Use knife to gently break into smaller pieces.
14, Store in airtight container.