1 Cup butter, softened
7 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbl fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 Tbl fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 Tbl salt
1 Tbl pepper
5-7 Pound boneless ribeye roast
2 Tbl flour
2 Cups beef stock
1. Preheat oven to 500°
2. Mix together the butter, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper in a bowl until evenly combined.
3. Rub the herb butter all over the rib roast, then place on a roasting tray with a rack.
4. Bake for 5 minutes per pound of meat — so a 5-pound roast would bake for 25 minutes and a 7-pound roast would bake for 35 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and let the rib roast sit in the oven for 2 hours, making sure you do not open the oven door or else the residual heat will escape.
6. Once the 2 hours are up, remove the roast from the pan and pour the pan drippings into a saucepan over medium heat.
7. Add the flour, whisking until there are no lumps, then add the beef stock, stirring and bringing the sauce to a boil.
8. Remove from heat and strain the sauce into a gravy dish.
9. Carve the prime rib - it should be medium rare