(For cake mix recipe see above)
1 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs, at room temp
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup oil
1 C. buttermilk or milk
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
BUTTERFINGER BLIZZARD FROSTING:
6-8 fun-sized OR 2 regular Butterfingers
3/4 C. butter, softened
2-3 C. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
EXTRA BUTTERFINGERS FOR DECORATION
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners, I used orange to really bring out the Reese's Pieces theme!
2. In a medium bowl, combine cocoa flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
4. Pour half the dry ingredients into the wet and stir. Then add the rest of the dry ingredients and stir again. Don't over mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Let cool.
6. FROSTING: First you will need to finely crush your Butterfingers. I popped mine into my blendtec and that did the trick, but you can also use a food processor or put in baggie and whack with a rolling pin! Then use a sifter to separate the finely crushed pieces from the bigger pieces. (See NOTE) Beat butter in a stand mixer then add 2 cups powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Continue to add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency and then fold in the finely crushed Butterfinger pieces.
7. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with Butterfingers!
NOTE: If you want to pipe on your frosting using a star tip like my photos, you will only want to use the finely crushed Butterfinger pieces and you can use the bigger pieces as "sprinkles" in the end. But if you will just be putting on the frosting using a knife then you can use ALL the Butterfinger pieces in the frosting!