1 (3 lb) cooked lean beef
1⁄2 cup barley
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons oil
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
4 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon white sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
ground black pepper
1. Chop meat into bite size pieces, set aside.
2. In a large soup pot saute onions and celery in oil. Place aside.
3. In same pot add water, beef bouillon cubes, sugar, 1/4 teaspoons pepper, stewed tomatoes (chopped if you prefer smaller bites), bay leaf, beef and barley.
4. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Add in sauteed vegetables and frozen vegetables
6. Cook until thoroughly heated and season to taste.