1. Blend lemon grass with ¼ cup water. Strain and keep the water aside.
2. Dissolve the cornflour in the coconut milk. Keep aside.
3. Mix potatoes, onions, ginger-garlic, bay leaves and two cups of water and put to boil.
4. When potatoes are half cooked, add turmeric powder, tomatoes and carrots.
5. Add lemon grass water, salt, curry powder and bring to a boil.
6. Add coconut milk, broccoli and paneer or pineapple and simmer for two minutes.
7. Add sugar if required.
8. Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.
To make a substitute for curry powder :
Combine 1 tablespoon of coriander cumin seed (dhania-jeera) powder with 2 pinches of sambar powder and add to this recipe.