1 Cup brown Sugar
1/3 Cup oil
1/3 Cup (heaping) unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 Cup buttermilk
2.5 Cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 Cups peeled and chopped apple, approx 1/2″ pieces.
*Any baking apple works, but I prefer the granny smith.
1/4 Cup softened unsalted butter
1/2 C brown sugar
1/3 C flour
1/4-1/3 Cup rolled oats
Dash or two of cinnamon
1. Mix brown sugar, egg, oil, apple sauce, cinnamon and vanilla until blended.
2. Stir in buttermilk.
3. Combine flour, salt and baking soda and slowly pour into wet ingredients.
4. Fold in apples to mixture gently until combined.
5 Pour into greased loaf pan(s).
* This recipe makes one very full large pan (make sure you get the middle done) or you can do two smaller loaf pans instead. I like to do one large loaf pan and 5-6 muffins so I can make sure my loaf gets properly baked in the middle.
6. Combine crumb topping ingredients, cut together and sprinkle on top. The recipe makes plenty so feel free to use as much or as little as you like.
7. Bake at 350 until set in the middle and golden brown. A large loaf pan takes about 1 hour and muffins approx 12-15 minutes