1 bag (12 ounces) no-yolk egg noodles
1 lb. 93% lean ground beef, fresh or frozen
1 large onion (for about 1 cup chopped)
1 tsp. bottled minced garlic
2 c. pre-sliced fresh mushrooms
1 box (9 ounces) frozen French-style green beans
1/4 c. sherry wine (not cooking sherry)
1 tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. paprika
1 can (10 1/4 ounces) reduced fat, reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
2/3 cup reduced fat sour cream
Salt and black pepper to taste
* Place the noodles in 2 1/2 quarts of already-boiling water and cook 5 minutes.
* Meanwhile, if the beef is frozen, run it under hot water so you can remove any packaging. Place the meat on a microwave-safe plate and microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes to defrost slightly. While the hamburger defrosts, peel the onion and begin heating, a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
* Add the beef to the skillet and cook, stirring often, turning to break up the meat as it begins to brown. Coarsely chop the onion, adding it to the skillet as you chop. Add the garlic and mushrooms. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the beef is crumbled and browned about 6 - 8 minutes.
* Add the green beans to the pasta pot, cover the pot to bring it back to a boil, then crack the lid and cook until the noodles are tender and the beans heated through about 5 minutes.
* Meanwhile, add the sherry, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire and paprika and the mushroom soup to the skillet. Stir well until it is completely incorporated. Lower the heat to simmer the mixture: then add the sour cream and stir until it is completely incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
* Drain the noodles and toss to distribute the beans evenly. Spoon some noodles and beans onto each plate. Top with sauce and serve.