1. In a small saucepan, heat milk just until bubbles form around edge of pan; remove from heat.
2. Add sugar, salt and 3/4-cup butter, stirring until butter is melted. Let cool to lukewarm (a drop sprinkled on wrist will not feel warm).
3. If possible, check temperature of warm water with thermometer.
4. Pour into large, warm bowl.
5. Sprinkle the yeast over the water, and stir to dissolve.
6. Add milk mixture, eggs and 3 cups flour; beat with electric mixer until smooth - about 2 minutes.
7. Add rest of flour; using wooden spoon, beat until dough is smooth and leaves side of bowl.
8. Brush with soft butter. Cover the bowl tightly with foil; refrigerate 2 hours, or until double in bulk.