1. Place potatoes in a large bowl; add cold water to cover. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425º F. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Drain potatoes in a colander. Spread on a double layer of paper towels. Cover with a second layer of paper towels. Press down on the towels to dry potatoes.
4. Transfer potatoes to a clean large bowl. Sprinkle with oil, pepper, and salt; toss gently to combine. Arrange seasoned potatoes in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake potatoes for 20 minutes. Using a spatula, turn potatoes; sprinkle with garlic. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes, turning baking sheet after 10 minutes for even browning. Serve immediately with ketchup on the side.
For a sweeter flavor, use sweet potatoes instead of the russet potatoes. Proceed as directed in Steps 1, 2, and 3. Add 1/2 tsp. of paprika when tossing potatoes with spices in Step 4. Bake as directed in Step 5.
For a healthy dip:
Instead of ketchup, try a ready-made salsa (look for no-salt added brands) or plain nonfat yogurt mixed with fresh herbs.