3 T. plus 2 t. vegetable oil
½ c. chopped onion
1 T. minced garlic
2 c. apple juice
½ c. dry red wine
2 T. balsamic vinegar
2 T. dried rosemary
½ t. dried thyme
pinch dried crushed red pepper
½ c. whipping cream (optional)
1 Bosc pear, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
¼ c. Marsala
1. Heat 2 T. oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Add apple juice, red wine, vinegar, rosemary, thyme and crushed red pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 ½ c. stirring occaisionally.
3. Strain mixture into small saucepan; discard solids. If using cream, add now. Continue to simmer until reduced to sauce consistency, about 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile heat 2 t. oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add pear slices; sauté until tender and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Sauce and pears can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate. Rewarm pears over medium low heat before serving.
5. Heat remaining 1 T. oil in heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and sauted until cooked through and golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
6. Add Marsala and bring to boil. Stir in reserved sauce, turning chicken to coat. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Divide chicken among plates. Spoon some sauce around chicken. Garnish with pears. Serves 4.