1. Combine the following in the Bosch mixer bowl (Could use a different type of mixer): 4 cups lukewarm water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup dry yeast ( Let this stand for 10 minutes)
2. While this is standing, scald 4 cups milk and cool to lukewarm and add to the bosch.
3. Add 9 cups enriched white flour and beat for 5 minutes. Add to this 1/4 cup salt and 1/2 cup melted shortening ( not oil).
4. Beat for 5 minutes
5. Add 7 more cups white flour and beat for 10 minutes
6. Place dough in a large plastic bowl and cover with a damp cloth
7. Let raise 1 hour or until it has doubled in bulk.
8. Punch down and divide into 6 equal portions; Allow these to rest for 10 minutes
9. Form loaves by pounding flat. Fold into thirds and then roll with a rolling pin, double the length of the pan, then roll tightly like a cinnamon roll. Pinch seams and ends together and place in loaf tin. Turning once to grease top of loaf.
10. Allow dough to raise in pans for 1 hour or until finger indentation stays.
11. Place bread into a preheated oven ( 350 degrees) for 40 minutes.
12. Remove bread from oven. Let rest in about 3 minutes and turn onto cooling rack.
This same recipe can be used for making french bread. Mold out french loaves about 12" long. Place on a cookie sheet. Make several diagonal slits along the top of each loaf. Brush slightly beaten egg white over top and bake, 350 degrees for 40 minutes.