4 slices canned pineapple
2 tbsp. pineapple juice
1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. molasses
1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced horizontally into roll-size pieces, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
salt to taste
4 rolls, halved, toasted or grilled if desired
1. Lay the pineapple slices on paper towels, blot them dry, and set them aside.
2. In a small bowl, blend the pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, molasses, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and ginger.
3. Set a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the chicken breasts and salt very lightly. Fry the breasts about 4-5 minutes per side, turning once, until just done. Add the sauce to the pan and fry another minute or so, spooning the sauce over the chicken and turning to coat both sides.
4. Remove the chicken to a plate and immediately add the pineapple slices to the skillet. Cook about 30 seconds on each side to glaze the pineapple and remove the pan from the heat.
5. To assemble the sandwiches, place lettuce, if desired, on the bottom of each roll and top with a chicken breast and a slice of pineapple. Spoon a bit of the sauce from the pan over each pineapple slice and serve.