1 can (21oz.) Comstock or Wilderness Cherry Pie Filling or Topping
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
4 large eggs
4 cups sifted powered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large (12) cupcake pan with paper or foil
baking cups. In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl or cup, combine 1 cup milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Set aside. In a
large bowl, add 1 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Beat with mixer 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low, add 1/2 of the dry ingredients, beat until blended. Add milk mixture, beat until blended. Add remaining half of the dry ingredients and mix only until blended.
3. Divide the batter among the 12 cupcake papers. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the baking pan, and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
4. Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-inch-diameter circular well from the top of the cupcake almost to the bottom, remove piece, cut in half horizontally and set aside. Fill the well with fruit filling and replace part of the top to cover opening.
5. Frosting: In medium bowl, combine 1/2 cup butter, powered sugar and 1/2 cup milk. Beat until smooth. Frost each cupcake heavily using a pastry bag or icing spatula. Decorate immediately by adding sprinkles or other colorful decor.