Sauce: 1/4 cup butter 1/3 cup flour
2-1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk
2 lb.potatoes (about 4 large) peeled and thinly sliced
4 carrots, pared and thinly sliced
3 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 can (15 oz.) pink salmon or 2 cans (6.5 oz.) solid white
Pie crust: 1 cup all purpose flour 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup plus 2T. unsalted butter
2-3T. ice water
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 T. water
Pie crust: combine ingredients being careful not to overwork
the dough, wrap in plastic wrap and chill.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-quart oval
casserole or baking dish.
2. Sauce: In saucepan or skillet melt 1/4 cup butter. Remove from heat; stir in flour, salt, pepper until smooth. Blend in milk. Cook, stirring over medium heat to boiling point until thickened and smooth.
3. In small amount of water, cook carrots, drain.
Microwave potatoes 3-4 minutes or until al dente.
Saute onions until transparent.
4. In prepared casserole dish, layer half the potato, carrot,
onion, frozen peas and salmon. Top with half the sauce.
Repeat, layering with potato, carrot, peas, remaining
sauce and salmon.
5. On a piece of waxed paper or plastic wrap, flatten
chilled dough evenly with hands (or roll). Peel dough off
plastic wrap and place on casserole, crimp edges and
cut steam vent in center of pie. Mix 1 yolk and 1 T. water
and brush on pie crust (makes a nice shine).
6. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until browned and juices
bubble through steam vent.