2 slices white bread (stale)
1/3 c. milk
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 lb ground veal
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 c. + 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. chopped parsley (flat-leaf)
2 t. kosher salt
1/2 medium onion, grated (~1/4 c.)
2 cloves garlic
1 large egg, beaten
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 c. olive oil
Quick Marinara Sauce (ingredients below)
1/4 c. EVOO
1/4 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic
3 28oz cans of whole, peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped (or used canned fire-roasted tomatoes, diced)
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 small bunch of basil
2 t. kosher salt
ground pepper to taste
1. Grate the bread or pulse into small crumbs in food processor. In a small bowl, toss w/ 1/3 c. cold milk to re-hydrate.
2. In a large bowl combine: bread crumbs, pork, veal, beef, Parmesan, parsley, salt, onion, garlic and egg until well mixed. Season with pepper. Using your hands, form meat mixture into balls slightly larger than golf-balls. *Roll them gently and don't pack the mixture too tightly, or they'll be tough. Refrigerate for 1-24 hours.
3. Heat half the oil in a large skillet over Med-high heat. Add half of the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides (approx 6 minutes). Transfer to a plate, drain and wipe the skillet and repeat with remaining meatballs.
4. Return meatballs to the clean skillet and add Quick Marinara sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes (until meatballs are cooked through).
QUICK MARINARA SAUCE
*Can be prepared while meatballs are in the fridge.
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over Med-high heat. Saute onion and garlic until lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes and herbs, bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, about 15 minutes until it thickens. Remove and discard herb stems. Stir in salt and season with pepper.