1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water and add 1/4 c
flour and let stand for at least 10 min to give the
yeast time to get going. (If you want to start and
then finish later in the day, make a sponge by
adding 1/2 the flour).
2. Add the salt and enough of the rest of the flour to
make a dough that is a bit stiff, that can be easily
kneaded by hand. Mix and knead by hand
(10 min), mixer (7 min) or bread machine set on
the dough cycle, until it is smooth. Let it rest for 5
min. to relax the gluten and make it easier to shape.
3. Cut dough into 8 pieces, flatten each piece and roll
into a 6" circle, 1/8 " thick. Set aside to rest for at
least 15 min.
4. Pre-heat oven to 500º. Sprinkle baking sheet or
stone with cornmeal or cover with parchment
paper. Pre-heat or stone pan for 1 min. on the floor
of the oven, or if this is not possible on the lowest
rack. Transfer 2-3 pitas onto the pan using a peel
or lg. spatula, close the door and keep it shut for 1
min. Don't peek or the pocket might not form.
5. After 1 min, place the sheet on a higher rack and
bake for another 3-7 min, until the pitas have blown
up into balloons and are lightly browned.
6. Immediately remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
They will deflate while cooling. When completely
cooled you can press more air out to take up less