2 egg whites
2 1/2 pounds eggplant, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4"-thick slices
1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
Olive oil spray
1 cup tomatoes, chopped with their juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Salt eggplant slices and let sit for 30 - 45 minutes. This procedure will draw out the bitter juices.
2. Rinse and dry eggplant.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
4. Line baking sheet with foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
5. In a shallow dish, beat the egg whites and 2 tablespoons of water until foamy.
6. Dip eggplant into egg whites, then into bread crumbs, pressing crumbs into eggplant.
7. Place eggplant on prepared baking sheet and spray oil over eggplant slices.
8. Bake 15 minutes, turning eggplant over after 15 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.
9. While the eggplant is baking, sauté the onions and garlic with oil spray.
I10. In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes and their juice, basil, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, salt, pepper, garlic, and onions.
11. Spoon 3 tablespoons of tomato mixture into bottom of 9" square glass baking dish.
12. Place half of eggplant over sauce; spoon half of remaining tomato mixture over eggplant; and sprinkle half of mozzarella on top.
13. Repeat with remaining eggplant, tomato mixture, and mozzarella.
14. Sprinkle Parmesan on top and bake for 20 minutes, or until eggplant is piping hot and sauce is bubbly.