1. Soften yeast in warm water and set aside
2. Pour boiling water over shortening.
3. Mix together milk, eggs, yeast, salt and vanilla and set aside.
4. Add sugar to water and shortening and then combine with egg and milk mixture.
5. Add 1/2 of flour and beat well. Add remaining flour.
If using electric mixer with dough hook, knead for 2
minutes. (if doing by hand turn onto pastry sheet and knead until elastic, when hand print disappears.
Cover and let rise until double
6. Roll out on pastry mat and cut with doughnut cutter. Place on cookie sheets and let rise again.
7. Fry in hot oil, 350º, and drain on brown paper.
8. Dip in granulated sugar.