The day before:
Place the beans in a large pot and cover with cold water Soak overnight of for at least 8 hours; drain.
1. Put the soaked beans into a large stockpot and cover with 12 cups cold water. Brint to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour. Beans should be somewhat softened.
2. Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid. Preheat the oven to 325F
3. Place the beans, 6 cups of cooking liquid, white sugar, brown sugar, salt, in a heavy casserole.
4. Tuck the salt pork into the middle of the beans. Cover and bake at 325F for approx 4 hours
5. Check the beans every once in awhile, adding more of the bean cooking liquid if necessary.
6. Remove the cover for the final hour of cooking.