2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
8 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
4 medium cloves garlic, peeled
8-10 sprigs fresh cilantro
2 sprigs fresh oregano
2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, plus one T. adobo sauce
1 T. vegetable oil
Monterey jack cheese
1. Bring chicken, broth, 2 onion quarters, 2 garlic cloves, herbs, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through (about 20 min.).
2. While broth simmers: puree tomatoes, 2 remaining onion quarters, 2 remaining garlic cloves, chipotle chili, and one teaspoon adobo sauce in a food processor until smooth. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over high heat until shimmering. Add tomato puree and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture has darkened in color (about 10 min).
4. When chicken is finished cooking: Remove chicken from broth to let cool. Pour broth through strainer and discard solids. Add strained broth to puree, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer to blend flavors (about 15 min). Add up to 2 teaspoons more adobo sauce to taste.
6. While soup simmers: shred the chicken into bite size pieces. Discard bones and skin.
7. Add chicken and serve with garnishes.