For sticky rice:
2 Tbsp. margarine
½ cup very fine chopped onion
1 ½ cup uncooked basmati rice
¼ cup dry white wine
4 cups good vegetable stock. (Morga or Rapunzel are good)
½ tsp saffron, or a small thread of saffron
salt and pepper to taste
½ inch cubes mozzarella
For egg wash:
3 eggs beaten
1 oz. grated parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp. milk
For dredging and frying:
4 tsp. flour
½ cup bread crumbs
Veg oil for deep frying
For BBQ sauce:
1 Tbsp. oil
1/3 cup very fine chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 Tbsp. worschetster sauce
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. tomato puree or ketchup
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
½ tsp. chili
¾ veg stock
For rice balls:
1. Melt -n- sauté marg and onion. Stir in rice to coat. Add wine, seasonings, and ½ of veg stock. Bring to a boil, stirring uncovered . . . turn heat to low, simmer until liquid is absorbed and evaporated. Add the remaining stock, continue to cook uncovered until rice is soft and sticky.
2. Cool rice until it you can handle it. Form balls only slightly larger than a golf ball, shoving a cube of mozzarella cheeze into the center. Squeeze and roll the balls so that they holds together without cracks or chunks falling off.
3. Mix the 3 eggs and milk and the parmesan cheese together for an egg wash.
4. Mix the flour and bread crumbs to dredge rice balls before frying.
5. First roll rice ball in egg - wash, then roll in bread crumbs. Fry in deep fryer or pot with at least 2 inches of oil. Fry until golden brown and crispy.
6. Keep warm or serve immediately with sauce.
For BBQ sauce:
1. Mix together the dry mustard, the chili, and the brown sugar.
2. Sauté onion in oil until transluscent. add spice and sugar mix, stir; add tomato puree, vinegar, worschetster, stir; add veg stock.
3. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to simmer for a few minutes. Thicken slightly with corn starch and water base, and cook an additional 10 min on low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk.
Serve rice balls with BBQ sauce while hot and crispy.