9 ears corn, shucked
1 spanish onion, peeled
2 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. curry (preferably maharajah)
1 pt. whole milk
3 sprigs basil
6 sprigs parsley
3 sprigs tarragon
1 tsp. peppercorns
salt and pepper
Hass Avacado and Sungold Tomato Salsa:
2 ripe Hass avacados
1 pt. ripe sungold tomato
1 small red onion, diced
2 limes, juiced
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 tbsp. sliced scallions greens
1 tsp. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Carefully cut the corn off the cob, making sure to remove all the silk.
2. Place the cobs in a medium pot, along with one rough chopped onion, 3 sprigs of parsley and the peppercorns, and cover with cold water. Bring up to a boil, reduce to a simmer, reduce by 1/2, and then strain.
3. In a seperate pot, over low heat, sweat one diced onion in 4 T butter until translucent, and then add the corn.
4. When the corn is bright yellow and tender, add the remaining herbs in a sachet and the curry powder; allow the soup to stand for at least 1/2 hour before removing the sachet.
5. Working in small batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth, season it to taste, and then pass it through a fine chinois: either serve immediately or cool the soup down on ice and refrigerate. (If the soup is too thick, use up to 1 qt. of milk to thin it).
6. Salso: Wash the tomatoes, slice them in half lengthwise, and place them in a non reactive bowl. Add the red onion, the parsley, the scallion and the cilantro.
7. Slice the avocado in half lengthwise, running your blade along the pit, and then spin the two halves in opposite directions. Use the butt of your knife to prick and then remove the (now stuck to the end of your knife) pit. Use a spoon to seperate the avocado from its skin, and then roughly dice it into 3/4 inch 'squares'. Add the avocado to the salad bowl, and then season, generously, with salt pepper.
8. Add the lime juice and the extra virgin olive oil, and mix lightly until the ingredients are well mixed.
9. To serve, spoon the salsa into the center of a soup bowl and pour soup around it tableside.