1. In a small bowl, combine all spices well.
2. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin.
4. Place in a plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.
5. When ready to roast chicken, stuff cavity with onion and place in a baking pan or roaster.
6. Roast, uncovered at 250 degrees for one hour.
7. After the first hour, cover and continue to roast for 4 hours, basting occasionally.
If the chicken contains a pop-up thermometer, ignore it.
Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Variation: Get a lemon or two. Use a fork and poke them with holes and put them in the cavity of the chicken. Roast as usual. The chicken will be moist and have a faint lemon taste.
(You can skip refrigerating overnight and the chicken will still be delicious! I forgot once and it came out fine.)